The first designated “Permanent Capital” of the state of Georgia, Louisville served as Georgia’s capital from 1795 through 1806. Located near the Ogeechee River in the vicinity of a prehistoric Native American trading center, Louisville has a long history and tradition as a rural cultural center.
Louisville is modeled after the grid plans of squares and streets of Philadelphia. This is evidenced by neighborhood streets with names like Walnut Street, Peachtree Street, and Mulberry Street. Louisville is named after King Louis XVI of France.
Louisville has produced many notable jurists, educators, and business people. It was the birthplace of Willis Denny, one of Georgia’s most famous architects. Louisville buildings designed by Mr. Denny include the stately Jefferson County Courthouse, several commercial buildings, a church education building, and several residences. Eli Whitney resided in Louisville when he completed his work on the design of the cotton gin and mailed the patent application for the design from the Louisville Post Office.
To learn more about Louisville, please visit the Jefferson County Historical Society located on Broad Street in Downtown Louisville, or visit any of the links below.